Sunday, February 7, 2010

14698 5

This number is a not a lucky number for me, nor does it hold any special moment for me. Not associated with any special person in my life and nor does it bring back any sweet memories of the past...

But still this number managed to stay in my life for a period longer than I would have imagined and gave me some thoughts to ponder on. :) This is nothing but my bike's odometer reading which got stuck at this number as the wire from wheel to meter had got broken. I wouldn't have noticed or thought about it too seriously, had I got a chance to get it repaired soon after it was broken. But thanks to somewhat busy schedule these days or my laziness, it took me around 2-3 weeks to get it repaired.


So during this while every drive used to give me a feeling like I am working hard to reach nowhere. While driving whenever I could feel the cool breeze rushing against my face the entire thrill of speed would just be gone, the moment I looked at the odometer which just indicated the speed as zero! It was then when I realized or better understood, the indicators of output you expect do hold some meaning. But soon it started making me feel that I need less efforts to cover a distance to reach somewhere. I could drive 20-25 kms in traffic and feel less frustrated because the distant might not be 20...who knows?? The speedometer didn't change!! :-S

We always tend to get frustrated and annoyed when we don't see results to the benchmarks that we had set in our minds. The success, the failures...all are measured and marked up to them. The victories are announced and grievances shared, based on the outcomes of levels set in our own brains, consciously or unconsciously. Wouldn't the life be easier if we stop setting benchmarks or at least measuring our every task, every breath against them? Wouldn't it be easy to ride the life without checking the speed with which we are living? 

Got my odometer repaired today. And I am amongst everybody again, in this world of illusion where you need to prove by readings, that you have come ahead...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

...well linked to today's world...
nice thought,well written!!!

Unknown said...

I stronglyy agree with what you hav written..
Thinking on parallel lines, I wish we had no "exams" at the end of each semester to evaluate us.Just doing the daily assignments and activities could be so much fun... How I wish that was true!!!:(