Thursday, September 4, 2008

Sat Sri Akal ji _/\_

It was raining very heavily since evening and I was standing at a local bus stop where my office bus had just dropped me. I was waiting for a local bus/auto that could take me home. A small private bus came and I signaled conductor to wait as I rushed towards the bus. "Aa jao Paaji" conductor replied back with a smile. As I climbed into the bus I saw a Sardar with flowing beard sitting at third seat, and we smiled at each other and greeted each other with Sat Sri Akal ji. Before you ask me...No, I didn't know this person and it was first time I had seen him. I was about to sit somewhere when I noticed him adjusting the arm rest and moving to the corner seat inviting me to the seat adjacent to him.

I wasn't like this before, I mean I never used to greet strangers. It has been almost four years in Hyderabad, a place where I cannot see many Sardars as I could see and meet in Punjab. Spotting someone with Turban/Keski (smaller turban) definitely catches my attention today. But all this changed gradually. I remember first time it was an old aged man greeting me with Sat Sri Akal in a local Gurudwara here, and I responded back with same. The first thought was he might have mistaken me for somebody else...but then I noticed every Sardar greeting each other like this every time they crossed each other. But I was still hesitant to wish somebody..what would it look like wishing a stranger in middle of the road!

But things started getting into my head when I moved to US. Spotting a Sardar in US specially in some cities was a very rare event. And I myself used to feel so happy when I used to meet one! Conversations started from a simple wish, to whereabouts, native place, current occupation and so on...Sat Sri Akal just used to be a starter to a whole meal! I remember going to Indian restraunts in Cincinnati and Atlanta where most of the chefs and serving boys used to be from villages from Punjab. And my glass of water used to served with a firm handshake and 'Sat Sri Akal Paaji' in a deep Punjabi accent. And I too used to respond back with same affection! I was startled when all this happened first time, but then I got used to this extra hospitality! :-) Of course I used to be pushed forward by my friends at billing time for extra discounts! :-D and the main chef used to walk out from Kitchen wishing me Sat Sri Akal, with turban on his head and his white beard complimenting his apron, specially to meet me - someone who was from their land, their home country, someone who could remind them of their life left back at their homes....


After developing this habit in US, I was still not sure if I would continue it in India, but I got my answer soon. It had been just few days me being back and I saw a Sikh boy, dude types....walking with his girlfriend coming from opposite direction on my side of road. I tossed the coin in my mind and chose 'No', he might not like to be disturbed. And this could be what I would continue with as well. But as they approached me, the guy folded his hands, bowed his head and wished "Sat Sri Akal Veerji" as if he had just read my mind and wanted me to continue with this practice. I smiled broadly (actually laughed at myself) and wished him back...and that gave me a hint of what I have to continue with!


If you have been in touch with Sikh families, you would know that since childhood the kids are taught to wish Sat Sri Akal to all those who they meet. And kids so sweetly fold there hands and mumble in their unclear words. But the practice just seems to get lost as they grow up.

The actual meaning of Sat Sri Akal, which is actually half of the complete greeting.

Sat = Sadeevi , Hamesha rehan wala (Always existant)

Sri = Respectful term.

Akaal = Beyond time, God is always associated with present (He is there), never God was or God will be.

So now if you fuse all 3 words into one sentence you get:
Jo bole so nihal, Sat Sri Akal = Blessed are thee who say, The Immortal God is truth from before time, till after.
So now it has become a habit for me to greet everyone like this. Of course I get startled expressions from some, but mostly it is gesture of bowing head, gentle wish and a smile.

My request to chat lovers, lets not abbreviate it! Stop using abbreviation 'SSA' in chats, we have already taken a lot of short cuts in our lives. We can chat for hours and sound crap in all those long sentences that we type, but lets not try to conserve our energies while typing these 3 words.

The bus had reached the bus stop close to my home, and the small journey had passed with a series of questions of my whereabouts, native place, work place .... and before I got down we wished each other Sat Sri Akal!

3 comments:

Amandeep Kaur said...

All I want to say is Sat Sri Akal.. of course with folded hands and a bend head :-)

jasjeet said...

sat sri akal veer jii....watever u hd written here ...is just awsum.....dnt hv more wrds to say

Amritbir Singh said...

Sat Sri Akal Jasjeet ji :-)
Thanks Jasjeet for your encouraging words, you are encouraging me to write more which I have been pushing off lately ;-)
Hope we all understand the importance of this greeting and don't hesitate to wish a stranger in the middle of road next time :-)